Podcast Episode 1: Governing AI and Autonomous Weapon Systems with Matthijs Maas and Tim Wuisman
The Leiden Security and Global Affairs Blog is proud to announce the first episode of its new podcast series.
Podcast host and member of the Leiden Security and Global Affairs Blog team, Jake Wright, sits down with Tim Wuisman and guest Matthijs Maas from the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk to discuss the challenges and potentials for governing artificial intelligence and autonomous weapon systems.
You can listen to the podcast through the following platforms:
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/...
- Google Podcasts: https://www.google.com/podcast...
- RadioPublic: https://radiopublic.com/leiden...
- Breaker: https://www.breaker.audio/leid...
For those interested in following a career in AI policy and governance research, check out 80,000 Hours' guide through the following link: https://80000hours.org/topic/priority-paths/ai-policy/
Expect regular episodes in the future, complementing and developing on contributions made to the blog. Follow the blog to stay up-to-date with all uploads.
- Chavannes, E., Klonowska, K., and Sweijs, T. (2020). Governing Autonomous Weapon Systems: Expanding the Solution Space, from Scoping to Applying. HCSS Security, 39. https://hcss.nl/sites/default/files/files/reports/HCSS%20Governing%20AWS%20final.pdf
- Deeks, A. (2020) Coding the Law of Armed Conflict: First Steps. In Waxman, M. C. (ed.) The Law of Armed Conflict in 2040. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hao, K. (June 25, 2020). Human Rights Activists Want to Use AI to Help Prove War Crimes in Court. MIT Technology Review. https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/06/25/1004466/ai-could-help-human-rights-activists-prove-war-crimes/.
- Hayward, Keith J, and Maas, M. M. (2020). Artificial Intelligence and Crime: A Primer for Criminologists. Crime, Media, Culture, , 1741659020917434. https://doi.org/10.1177/1741659020917434.
- Kallenborn, Z. (2020). Are Drone Swarms Weapons of Mass Destruction? The Counterproliferation Papers, Future Warfare Series No. 60. U.S. Air Force Center for Strategic Deterrence Studies. https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jun/29/2002331131/-1/-1/0/60DRONESWARMS-MONOGRAPH.PDF.
- Leys, N. (2020) Autonomous Weapon Systems, International Crises, and Anticipatory Self-Defense. The Yale Journal of International Law 45, no. 2 (2020): 377–411.
- Mittelsteadt, M. (2021). AI Verification: Mechanisms to Ensure AI Arms Control Compliance. Center for Security and Emerging Technology. https://live-cset-georgetown.pantheonsite.io/research/ai-verification/.
- National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence. (2021). Final Report. https://www.nscai.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Full-Report-Digital-1.pdf.